Are You Seeking a Urologist Gynecologist?

Urogynecology is an important aspect of health care that you may not even realize you need. Originally developed in the 1980s, urogynecology is a subspecialty of gynecology focused on correcting non-cancerous disorders of the pelvic floor and pelvic organs. Some people are embarrassed to discuss issues such as urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse — but these conditions are extremely common, and can be treated by a skilled urogynecologist! So if you are searching the web for a urologist gynecologist, learn about our Coral Springs practice: Lona Sasser Obstetrics & Gynecology.

Book Now

How Is a Urologist Gynecologist Trained?

Urogynecologists receive the same training as ob-gyns: medical school, followed by a four-year obstetrics and gynecology residency. Then, to become a urogynecologist, gynecologists pursue three additional years of specialized training in urogynecology. This is the training a urologist gynecologist undergoes in order to provide diagnosis and treatment of issues such as pelvic organ prolapse, weak pelvic floor, urinary incontinence, fecal incontinence, pelvic or bladder pain, and more.

If you are looking for a urologist gynecologist because you are experiencing any of the above problems, we can help. Call our office or book an appointment online to receive expert care from our compassionate team!

Book an Appointment

Differences Between Urology and Urogynecology

The fields of urology and urogynecology are similar and overlapping, but they are not the same. If you are seeking a urologist gynecologist, learn about the differences between urology and urogynecology, so you can determine which type of doctor will address your needs. Also feel free to call our office or book an appointment to discuss your symptoms with a urogynecologist.

According to Jennifer Sobel, D.O., 

“A urologist has gone through five or six years of residency with the focus on the genitourinary system–kidneys, ureters, bladder, prostate, and urethra. A urologist can then go on to a fellowship in many different fields including ‘female’ urology and urethral reconstruction. It is those fields that have a lot of overlap with the urogynecologist… In general, if you have a dropped uterus or a very weak pelvic floor, I think a urogynecologist is the most appropriate person for you to see first. If you have either a complex urinary issue, or even straightforward urinary problems, a urologist is probably your best bet.”

Learn About Our Team

Patients Review Their Experiences

“I have been a patient of Dr. Squire-De Leon’s for a few years now and she is absolutely amazing! Not only her, but also her assistant Vanessa! They make you feel 100% comfortable and have great bedside manners! I don’t feel shy of any questions with these two. Definitely recommend!!” – Leslie Thomas on Google Reviews

“Dr. Sasser and her staff go above and beyond for their patients. Dr. Sasser has been my primary OBGYN for 5 years now and every visit is better than the next. Her staff is always friendly, professional and caring. I have seen Dr.De Leon twice before and she is also wonderful! I highly recommend this office and their care!” – Claire R. on Google Reviews

Sources for This Article:

FAQ’s About Urogynecology – University of Colorado

What is a Urogynecologist? – Voices for PFD

What is the Difference Between a Urologist and a Urogynecologist? – HealthCentral

Share This